We are living in the world of digital era where everything is available online, from head to toe, from left to right, say it be anything its available online. This digital world has helped us to stay connected and communicate with anyone from any part of the world to any part of the world.
The world is changing, changing the way it thinks, works, communicate. Most of the people have a platform to communicate, to shout out their thoughts and experiences, to share their message, their thought process. So why not you?
People spend most of their time in reading what is available online and implement that in their day to day life. Which means, as compared to the earlier days, now you have a platform of your own to share your thoughts and messages. And that’s no other than BLOGGING. Yes, blogging is the simple and most affordable way to make your messages and thoughts being heard. And the easiest platform to launch a self-hosted blog is WordPress.
As per the stats, over 60 million blogs of blogs are registered on WordPress, one of several platforms that helps you to publish online in the most easiest and effective way.
According to a source, this figure represents only 43% of all blogs, which makes the total number to be somewhere around 160 million blogs and there are strong possibilities that this number can go up to 300 million.
And the interesting part is that these blogs are viewed and read by an audience of over 400 million people each month — and that’s just the single place people are connecting and communicating online.
So why not you take the advantage of it and start your self-hosted WordPress blog in next 10 minutes?
And of course, you don’t need to be technologically sound to start your blog. You just have to be passionate for blogging.
When we talk of blogging and having your self-hosted blog, the first things that pops up in any bloggers mind is the COST for setting up a blog. How much is it going to cost to have a self-hosted WordPress blog?
But you don’t need to worry, there are only few necessary elements that you will have to pay for such as a domain name and hosting space, the costs of which will depend on your specific requirements. Just before you sit down to launch your self-hosted blog, gather the below mentioned resources so that to be at ease.
- A domain name
- A Credit Card
- And your 10 minutes
Now, let’s talk about the simple step to launch a self-hosted WordPress blog.
Five steps to launching a blog
Here are the quick to help you launch a self-hosted WordPress blog to start your blogging career:
- Choosing a web host – As every one of us needs a place to live and to own that place we have to pay for it, similar is the case with our website too.Web host is place where your website “lives.” But to own it, you have to pay a small fee to keep it online. There are many companies out there that provide hosting services, such as
Before you chooses a web hosting, here are few factors you need to keep in mind when choosing the right web hosting for your WordPress blog:
- Cost:Look for the hosting which is neither too cheap nor too expensive. Don’t jump into ending up buying a hosting available at relatively low or high cost. First know the features you require for your blog and then choose the hosting accordingly.
- Features & Performance:Choose a server that assures up times, super-fast servers, unlimited bandwidth and enough of space to cater to all your needs. To start with, 5GB worth of bandwidth per month and 5GB disk space should be enough. Few other features to keep in mind while choosing a hosting are – add-on domains, backup services, email and script support among others.
- Quality of Customer Support:When you are choosing a web host for your self-hosted WordPress blog, end up choosing a web hosting who maintains a good reputation for customer support. You will definitely not want your visitors seeing errors because your host’s customer care can’t fix some random issue fast enough.
To set up your hosting, log in to the hosting website from where you want to buy your hosting and follow the simple steps mentioned out there.
- Registering a domain –
After you have got your hosting, it’s time to register a domain of your choice. It can be anything, you name.com or any other idea you have which relates to your blog. The domain name can be purchased from the hosting company itself. Some of the hosting companies provide it free of cost with their hosting packages.
Choose a package:
And if you’ve already registered a domain through another service and need to host it, you’ll either have to transfer your domain registration or point your name servers to the host.
- Installing WordPress –
To start with blogging, one needs a software, and the best one is WordPress. It’s not only easy and quick, but is absolutely freewhich is its best part.The number of steps asked under this step might scare you, but be patient.
It’s all about just clicking the buttons and you are ready to go with. To set up WordPress you can either go through your host or you have to go through org to download the software and then upload it to a host. (Note: Using WordPress.org is different from signing up for a free blog at WordPress.com)
- Getting a theme –Once you are done with all the above steps, now it’s time to start using WordPress and as you start, you get access to a number of beautiful blog designs popularly known as “themes”. The collection comprises of both free and paidthemes.
If you don’t like the default theme, just go to Appearance –> Themes on your WordPress admin menu. From here, click “Add New” to choose from the thousands of free themes available at WordPress.org.
To start with you can select any of the given themes given, either paid or unpaid, depending upon your choice and preferences, to improvise the look of your blog.
- Log in and Publish –
Now when you are done with all the above steps and have set-up your blog, you can log into your WordPress site by going to the admin login URL.The URL for your dashboard (which redirects to the login page if you’re not logged in) is yourblogname.com/wp-admin/. Enter your username and password, then click “Log In.”
Can’t wait to publish your own content? Go to Posts –> Add New to create your first blog post, Pages –> Add New to build a new page (e.g. a brief About page with a your mission statement) or Media –> Add New to upload audio, video or image files.
Roll out your first blog and offer it to your audience to read it. Give a title to your blog and get started with blogging, giving wings to your thoughts and ideas. Now you’re blogging and in the race with many bloggers present world-wide.
WordPress offers you a very simple and easy to go Dashboard. The Dashboard of WordPress Admin is not only beautifully designed but is alsovery easy to use, and no worries if you’re a beginner, you should have a great time creating with WordPress. And don’t forget to log out once you are done with blogging!